Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Paralyzed by Too Many Choices

I often find myself staring at my bookshelf, standing frozen, gazing at the collection of books.  Most of the books on the shelves are yet-unread.  I collect books, but don't carve out adequate time to read them.  I buy them as though I will never be able to get my hands on them in the future:  'If I don't buy this new Cheever biography RIGHT THIS MOMENT, it will disappear into the ether, and I will NEVER EVER be able to get it again!'  So I acquire it right away, shelve it, and then when I am ready to start a new book, I become overwhelmed by the possibilities.  Funny essays?  Chick lit?  Catching up on the classics?  There are simply too many options on the bookshelf.

And don't even get me started on the vast repository of guides/manuals/creative philosophy books that I have accrued, to help me with my writing.  'Someday', I think, 'maybe on my next vacation, I'll get through that gorgeous Iowa Writer's Workshop book.  I can't wait!' 

Anyone else drowning in good intentions?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that I am not the only one who does this! I can't leave a bookstore without buying a book even though there are at least 10 on my bedside table, another 30 on a bookshelf downstairs and now there are also many waiting on my ipad. It has been a new goal of mine to carve out more time each day for reading so I can start justifying the purchase of additional books. But with a school book fair next week - I believe the pile is about to grow!

    ReplyDelete