Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Friends are Real Characters

I can't count how many times I have listened to a friend's anecdotes, stories, adventures, or philosophy, and said 'I couldn't make that ind of stuff up!'  And then I grapple with the ethical question:  since I like my friends, and they are so interesting, is it OK to turn them into characters in something I write?  Do I have to tell them first?  And then, is it less 'creative writing' and more simply documenting their stories?  Is it flattering, embarrassing, or cheating?

What do you think, readers? 

2 comments:

  1. You are always welcome to use me as a character. Although I would like firm thighs, abs of steel and a hot man on my arm. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be nothing but flattering to have a writer think something I did was worth putting pen to paper about. (fingers to keys?) I say 'go for it!'

    ReplyDelete